Mold Versus Mildew: How Are They Different?

Mold and mildew have been used interchangeably, and sometimes being interpreted as the same thing. This is primarily because mold and mildew are both fungi that can be spread by spores being diffused into the air. Mold and mildew also thrive in humid and moist environment. And sometimes they look quite alike that it is difficult to tell them apart. Because of these similarities, mold and mildew are often regarded as the same.

mold and mildew removal

Mildew

However, mold and mildew are different due to the very fact that they are two different types of fungus. Although they sometimes look similar, they actually differ in appearance if you know how to identify them properly. Mold often appears green or black, and sometimes even red or blue. On the other hand, mildew is often gray or white in color. Mold is often more slimy and slippery than mildew. In addition, mildew can often be spotted in bathrooms, shower curtains, fabrics, and even paper, whereas mold can often be seen in food. But both mold and mildew can practically grow anywhere, if the conditions are right for them to grow and survive.

Mold and mildew are present in this world because they have an important role to play in the breakdown of organic matter. Not only that, a lot of drugs are also developed from different species of mold. Mold is even cultured and processed to produce a lot of the foods that we eat today.

mold and mildew removal

Mold

Mold and mildew are usually not very harmful if they have not yet spread in large quantities. In fact, it is worthy to note that penicillin was actually developed from a type of mold. However,  mold and mildew can become harmful if they grow in multiple levels. They spread thousands of spores into the air, which can be inhaled by the lungs. People who have weak lung resistance, or people with existing lung problems, are especially vulnerable to mold and mildew infection. Some types of mold have mycotoxins which can be very harmful to a high-risk person. Allergic reactions may develop, such as coughing spells, asthma attacks, breathing difficulties, inflammation of eyes, skin or throat, as well as headaches. Studies have also revealed that high exposure to mold is also associated with neurological problems. There are even reported cases of death as a result of black mold infection.

It is very important to keep your home free from mold and mildew infestation. Keeping them out of your home ensures that your home is a safe place for you and your family. If you detect mold and mildew growth anywhere in your home, it is really important that you take immediate action to get rid of the mold and mildew, before they get the chance to invade your home permanently. The good news is that there are a lot of cleaners in the market that are specifically designed for the purpose of mold and mildew removal. Lysol Mold And Mildew Remover is just one of the many products you can use. You can also use X-14 Mildew Stain Remover. If you don’t want to face the task of removing mold and mildew by yourself, you can even call a mold and mildew removal service to do it for you. Whichever method you go for, always keep in mind to take care of the mold problem right away, before it escalates and turns into a bigger problem.

This entry was posted in Mildew Removal, mold and mildew removal, mold removal, Prevent Mold and Mildew and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>